Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The Oncoming Storm

This image was taken in 2004, with my Olympus E-10, on my first visit to Tancook Island, Nova Scotia. Tancook is a six mile ferry ride out into the Mahone Bay off the eastern coast of NS past most of the other 100 islands in that bay. This is taken looking towards Chester, on a very stormy day, before our Digital cameras were very water worthy, so I was taking chances with a very expensive camera, but you can't get the shot if you aren't out there to take it.

I generally do not follow the "rules" of photography, as far as framing and the like, because the "rules" are intended to give a comfortable feel to an image, and some of us don't always intend on a image being comfortable. So, you can make an image more "edgy" just by how you frame the elements that make up your image. I consider this to be one of those.

It is called: "Oncoming Storm."

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful image, my friend. A black and white all in soft tones. Considering the camera you had at that time, this is truly remarkable. Because let's face it, there was a tremendous leap ahead in equipment quality in the last ten years, isn't that true?

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment sir, the E-10 was, I guess you could call it, the first High End point-and-shoot camera, as it had a fixed lens. It was a very good, versatile, lens for the time.
      Jim

      Delete
  2. That was the calm part of the Oncoming storm. You will notice that though this is the beginning of the "North Sea" the water was as if made of glass. It did not stay that way. Thirty minutes later the waves were rolling in. And, also, thanks for the good comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another one of my favorites. Love the calm stillness of the water juxtaposed with the storm clouds rolling in at a distance. Great moodiness. I'm no photographer, but I know what I like, and I think the black and white makes it much more powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed, B&W is sometimes still the best choice, by a long margin. This photo, in color, is very dull blue and blue-gray, a moody image yes, but laking the impact that B&W could give it, and why I chose B&W for this image.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment on the image or my comments about my image.