Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The American family farm: death of.

Well, as the title says, this image is about one of my own I guess you could call it a photographic Documentary.  I have been documenting (photographically the end of the single family farm (in Indiana) for about the last 10 years. It hurts me to see what used to be so many vibrant small farms bought by the big corporations, and then the homes bulldozed to make room for one more hectare of Corn, or Soybeans. This house, has been gone now for about 10 years, just before Roger G. and I could go and tandem shoot, we do that so well I think. I wish we could have gone to this Home too.

James Longster, © 2014

TITLE

5 comments:

  1. Very powerful. Darker image indeed. What with the little spot near his left hand, the man at right looks crucified, and imprisoned by the fine net of twigs. I look forward to when we'll be able to view your pictures with better definition, I don't exactly understand what's being shown in the middle window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonsoir ,j'aime beaucoup cette photo ,
    Souvenir du temps passé ..nostalgie !
    Bonne soirée à vous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good day Claudine, that you for the comment, this is a sad image, but to those of us that have lived on farms they are a bittersweet remembrance.

      Delete
  3. I don't remember this house, not with my own eyes at least, only through yours. Lemme say this : this is one of your most powerful images. One of the darkest. Despair seeps through the cracks and the attitudes of the man and the woman. By Jove it is so sad.

    One cannot help thinking, those are two lives lost, lost to their old way of life which is being torn apart. It is the end of the road. The end of all things. Certainly the end of all hope.

    Despair. So dark.

    Roger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Roger! Spot on, the end of things, without an new beginning to look forward to. That is the fate of most family farms in the USA, corporations buy them up, bulldoz them down, and then there is No chance that a new family would could buy the house and restore it to its former glory. Dead and gone. Sad, very sad. I would have taken you to this house first, but it was gone before you came to visit. Sad.

      Delete

Feel free to comment on the image or my comments about my image.