Saturday, October 25, 2014

Cubist's House

This image, on the face of it, is an Architectural shot, but to me is is more about shapes and contrasts. It almost feels “Cubistic” to me, with the juxtaposed angles, and shapes that seem to have no relationship to each other. But to see that you have to separate yourself from the idea that this is a room in a house, and just see the shapes.

I spent almost 2 years photographing Homes for Caldwell Banker, a very large high end reality company, and every once in a while I saw something in a room that said: “Look at me, I am art, waiting to be made.” So, I would then shoot and see what happened to it. The colors are mine except for the blue sky in the arched window, the rest is Desaturated and color changed, till I got what I wanted.

James Longster, © 2014

And He Built a Crooked House

4 comments:

  1. This image is all about light and geometry. Quite good. I wonder what gave you the idea to look up and photograph from this rather unusual angle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Light coming in the room above and beside the big entryway, it caught my eye. Then it was shutter, shutter, shutter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pictures where lines have come to play. Like that very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this shot is all about Lines, nice call! Angles, are in this case, multiple, but in a visual relationship that becomes pleasing to the eye. In most cases I like to make an image that IS pleasing to the eye, wether or not it is a comfortable image, to not. The not would be the the American family farm: death of, still pleasing to the eye, but not so much to the soul (metaphorically speaking).
    Jim

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment on the image or my comments about my image.