Tuesday, November 4, 2014

In Darkness Bloom

I like Lilies, well my lovely wife and I both like them, a lot. They are unique in so many ways: tall and strong, colorful, vibrant even, and relatively long lasting, and with choices of cultivars you can have flowers from early summer to early fall.

So they are the subject of this weeks post, the first in November. I treated them like I do, darker and more mysterious, than most flowers are, or at least are perceived.

I apologize for several of the softer spots in the image, this is due to this being about 6-7 combined images, to get them all in sharp focus would have been very daunting. I would have done it but I was generally content with how the image turned out. So, I left well enough alone. Jim

James Longster, © 2014

In Darkness Bloom

4 comments:

  1. Thank you very much, I enjoy making an image "feel" different than it would/should look. This was taken in full daylight, on a sony day, stopped down to about F22, at about 1/250th of a second, making the image much darker than, would otherwise be the case. Changing the "mood" of a shot is one of the most fun parts of being a "Photographer in the digital age", what once took decades of experience now only take Decades of experience with both the camera and a set of constantly changing softwares.

    Thank you very much for the compliment.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'd pick those lilies.

    There's a somber, lush grace in there that whispers to me. I don't exactly understand what it says. Maybe it's better that way…

    As I'm also an artist myself — different muse but art is art —, I find myself fascinated by the creative process, whatever the discipline. It would be interesting, I think, to get a look at the original picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will try to find the originals, so you might see into the process. Sometimes, however, when I am done with a multiple image process I keep only the finished product, mostly because I am a bit short on big storage devices . . . . I am going to fix that.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment on the image or my comments about my image.