Sunday, November 9, 2014

Dark room with no curtains

Over several days and about 30 layers I took many shots of this beautiful reading room at the Wellspring house in the Berkshire Mts in Western Mass, and turned it into this dark, foreboding room. Nothing is as it was in this image.

This was a bright sunny day, the tree was not there, nor were: the Ravin, the Taoist the babies, well one of them was, and the room color was different. This image is a nod to Edgar allen Poe's: "The Raven". At the same time it was an attempt to show, in the early days of Digital Photography, what could be done with an image, that film just could not do. The tree in the window was in bright fall colors and came from an image taken at Purdue University the previous fall, all else came from someplace in the house.

Sadly, the owner of this lovely bright room, did not like what I had done to her room, and her favorite childhood doll. I apologized, than she did too, because it was an artist retreat, and art is personal, and not always comfortable to the viewer.

I worked many hours on this image and like I said it has at minimum 30 layers in its composition, and sadly it was taken with my E-10 so it was only 4 MP, so I had to bump the resolution up in PS; I was surprised at how well it took the enlarging. I was also very pleased with the overall effect the image had on most people.

Hope you enjoy it. Jim

James Longster, © 2014

Somewhere on a Blue Night

2 comments:

  1. Troubling, ominous and yet somehow familiar. I like that you didn't take out the electric cable on the floor (or did you even add it? – I wouldn't put it past you ;-)).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left it there, just because it seemed right, and also because it just got by me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment on the image or my comments about my image.