Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Cherry

Back in the late 80s a movie came out called “Cherry 2000,” an early Post Apocalyptic story about a Boy and his anatomically correct android lover. She, “Cherry,” was broken, and needed spare parts. so he hired a real girl, who owned a Hopped up Mustang in order to adventure into what was left of the area near Las Vegas to get what he needed. This mannequin reminds me of that movie.

I have a bit of a fascination for how we “artists” choose to see and then reproduce our vision of the human form. Sometimes it is intended to just be beautiful to look at, sometimes it is not. This is the combined vision of three peoples, the maker of the mannequin, the dresser, and then me the Photographer. So in a respect it is a three layer affaire, spread out over time. with each of us bringing our own interpretation, of what this image is. But beyond the point where we all agree that it is a mannequin, the rest is up to the individual. You, the observer.

Jim

James Longster, © 2014

Cherry Baby

1 comment:

  1. I try to identify what it is that makes this image so subtly threatening. The colours? The dark background, for sure. And yet… Would I feel the same way if I saw this image without your introduction, say, in an ad for sunglasses? I think I'd still feel disturbed. That's your art, I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment on the image or my comments about my image.