Sunday, February 14, 2016

Chameleon of the Air

It is too bad that all the killer bug sprays we use, Kill the most efficient Mosquito eater in the world, If we had brains we’d be dangerous.

Anyway, this was taken some years ago with my 20D and a 300mm L glass tele, luckily it was not windy, and the sun was in just the right place, to get this beauty. The green ones are relatively rare in comparison to others, at least around the area I was shooting that day.

I like dragon flies, They are Very old, and very successful as a species, and as part of the dominant phylum, at least by total weight on this planet, they are among the most successful. You want to not have Mosquitos, get some dragonfly eggs and inoculate your local pond. They eat them, the blood suckers, in the water when young and in the air when they earn their wings.

I have had varying success shooting these insects, the smaller dragonflies are not too bad to shoot, the bigger ones don’t land often and several types roost high in trees, making it a real issue getting to them. This one is of the smaller variety, the big ones that I have had little success with are in the swampy areas of Massachusetts and are easily 3 inches long. Man I want a couple of those to eat my “bad” bugs.

Jim

James Longster, © 2014

Chameleon of the Air

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on the image or my comments about my image.