Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Land of the Lost

In 2003 I had bought my first Digital Camera while taking the first digital Photography course that Purdue University was offering, there were but 6 of us in that class, I was the only one with my own camera, a Olympus E10 at that time. The rest of the class were using, I believe, Nikon Coolpix 5700s, at 5mgp, mine was only a 4.2mgp. But it was a SLR, but had a dedicated lens. I was an Excellent lens however, it had a 35mm x 140mm lens with a bit of digital zoom thrown in, it had very good reviews by DPreview.com and so I dropped the 2kUSD because I had decided that Wet was dead, and Digital was the future.

So in 2004 My wife and I went and spent a month on an Island called Tancook, NS about 7 miles off the coast of Nova Scotia out in the last of the Gulf Stream (before it turns into the North Atlantic Current) the island is only 3 miles long, and one and a half wide, but it is very unique in its climate, the East coast has the same zone as Tennessee, USA, and the West coast 1.5 miles away has the same zone as costal Maine. In other words Basil will grow well on the East coast, but not a chance on the West. Strange Huh?

This is a shot I took with that E-10 so I’m sorry it is not as large as the other images I have shown you but it is still a good one I think. It was taken in the Middle of the island, just across from the islands cemetery. If any of you want a place that is in North America yet at times feels European, this is one place you could go, Isolated yet still connected. Sadly it is changing rapidly. I am not going to go into what is happening there, but time is short for them.

So sad; Roger I wish we had been able to go together this time, instead of so many years later, after the changes had started.

Jim

James Longster, © 2014

Lupin In The Fog

2 comments:

  1. Magnificent. You know, for me digital really began in early 2005 when the Big Guys, Canon and Nikon, decided to chime in with true bona fide DSLRs, and thus obliterate the competition. My first was the 20D Canon as you know. Yet a couple of years later the Canon 5D was such a huge advance with its full-frame sensor that I could not resist.

    So yes, there is something sad in having gone there a bit too late. Even if it was beautiful and we had a lot of fun, both in photography and in interacting with locals.

    I seem to remember this field. Wasn't it near the top of the island?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was Roger, on the way to the other side, and past the Cross's house.

      Delete

Feel free to comment on the image or my comments about my image.