Friday, January 23, 2015

Door into The Past

Door into the Past is an image I took in 2005 with my Canon 20D. This particular shot was done as part of a video I did, that was part of my ongoing Photo Documentary on the death of the American Family farm.

This was a beautiful home of probably 20 rooms, and two stories. I guess here at the number of rooms, because the building was way too unstable to trust my life, or those of the models I had with me to its condition. We did go into the first floor, through the main entrance (after I had checked the floors and walls for structural integrity,) but we still were In-and-out as fast as possible. I will be revisiting this once beautiful home to see if it too has succumbed to time and the corporate march.

In America, where the dollar is king, the families that once dotted the countryside of rural America with their small beautiful farmhouses with children running about and playing, have all but disappeared. The statistics say that Indiana alone has lost 600,000 family farms since the 1950s, where did they go? They went to the big corporate farms, Prudential is one of the big players in this “rape of American history and life.” After they “buy” your farm they knock down the House, the Barns, The Chicken coups, they cut down the trees, in truth they erase all signs that humans lived here and made a life. The saddest part is the family history that just disappears, it is likely, that until it was purchased by whatever corporation, there may have been 4-5 generations of this family living there. But once again the corporations have won, and “we the People” have lost to the Dollar, again.

This just depresses me, and it always will. Jim

James Longster, © 2014

Door Into The Past

7 comments:

  1. This is a sadly story and a mysterious picture with soul. Thx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good image. Very good indeed, amigo. I would perhaps have done it… in black and white, by Jove!

    This being said, and notwithstanding the quality of the image per se, I would dare suggest two corrections: there is this almost washed out patch at the bottom, see what I mean? And then, the background seen through the window is out of focus. Everything else is so precise… I would suggest that you do one of your dirty tricks and replace what's inside the window.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot… very good text BTW. It's a sad state of affairs isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I thought about replacing that window frame with something more appropriate, but I decided to "let it be real" (not following the rules) so to speak, or would changing it be be "following the rules?" Im a bit confused here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As to what is seen through the window being out of focus, I thought that was the point. The door into the past.
    But see, I think you made the B&W vs. colour challenge easy for me: if you had a B&W version of this, I'd still prefer the colour version, I'm pretty sure. You did something very moving with the red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of those rare images that could work both ways, I think, I will duplicate it convert it and see what I can do with it as a B&W. As a general rule, if an image (Colour) ((for Roger)) has the right colors and intensities I will almost always try them in Black and white also. I actually probably Have a B&W version of this, so I might just have to find it. Always a great adventure in itself.

      Delete
  6. And when you're done, *I*'ll challenge you to do this with your Cherry woman. Got you there, no?

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment on the image or my comments about my image.